Thursday, July 7, 2011

Re-fashion: Toddler dress from an adult blouse

I was so excited to find a top with Hungarian embroidery (Made in China) at Strawberry a few years ago, I didn't even care that it didn't fit me properly. It was about 12.99 USD if I remember correctly. Every time the seasons changed I took it out of the closet, tried it on and put it neatly away again - it still didn't fit. It also was sewn in such a weird mass-produced way, that I could not possibly mend it. Last week I decided to gift it to the local charity store, but then a lightbulb went off ... "What if I make a dress for Lola instead of giving it away???" Remember, I am not a sewer by any stretch of the imagination - well, at least not the kind that plans, draws, measures, and measures again and finally cuts. I do all in two steps - cut and sew and sometimes, but only sometimes measure :).

The top:


I first parted the top of the top from the bottom ruffle ... 


Then cut the sides to fit Lola's chest. 
The back has a part with elastic ruching that I did not even touch. 


I ruched the bottom originally of the top, now the skirt-to-be to fit the new circumference; cut the straps in the middle, made a knot at the end and it was READY for Lola to be worn ... See? It's that easy ... And if you need to know, yes it is meant to be "off-shoulders" - remember? :) It's DESIGN!!! :))
What do you think? 


"Look at my new dress, guys!!"


Something is stuck to my "fip-fop" .. I mean "flip-flop" 


"Now off you go finding old tops in your closets to make other little girls some beautiful dresses!" .. . Lola says 

Momma says: "Finally, a successful project!"

Lo(Lo)V(i)E, LV

P.S. If you like the flower in Lola's hair you can learn how to make it HERE


Post linked up here:
 Tip Junkie handmade projects

9 comments:

  1. WOW! I would buy that dress :)
    Line

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is really very pretty! I too would buy that dress for my little girl! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE that dress! And you did a fantastic job on it!! Found you from Sew Can Do (and a new follower too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ♥ it!! I don't have kids, but I think I'm gonna make some dresses for my nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO perfect! I have plenty of things that sit in the closet for the very same reason. Time to look at them again. I'd love to feature this at the next Craftastic Party if you can add the party button or a link somewhere on your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ladies! Cheryl, surely I will add a button or link right after the post? Let me know when it's up and I will feature.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute! I would love to feature this on Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle. Feel free to stop by and grab a featured button. Thanks!

    http://reuseandupcycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Rachel for featuring. I will happily add a button. LV

    ReplyDelete